- Age: 43
- City of Residence: Alexandria, VA [Washington DC metro area]
- Profession: IT [I'm a UNIX/Linux system administrator by background, although that's not my current job function]
Areas of interest
- World news and current events (I am an Africa-watcher in particular)
- Information technology (particularly UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems)
- Languages (I am competent in French; basically competent in German and Modern Standard Arabic; and have a smattering of many other languages)
- Linguistics (I find sociolinguistics particularly fascinating)
- Cinema (favorite directors: Ingmar Bergman, Andrei Tarkovsky, Lars von Trier, Abbas Kiarostami, Michael Haneke)
- Literature (especially 20th-century lit)
- World travel (I’ve backpacked all over Africa)
- Politics and international affairs
How the heck do you pronounce “dumpendebat”?
Like this: DOOM pen-DAY-baat
Mission Statement/Blog History
This blog has existed, at various URLs but always under the same name, since 2002. The archives available here date back to December 2004; the blog has been at its current URL since 17 July 2005.
I used to be a Blue-Team tribe-member partisan Democrat, and I used to use a lot of swear words and harsh invective on this blog. You will not see these things any more (unless, of course, you’re perusing the archives), as I have gotten tired of them. I can’t promise to always keep things 100% family-friendly here, but I am through with dropping gratuitous four-letter expletives for their own sake. I’d like my blog-author online persona to resemble my real-life personality a little more closely.
I’m less interested in American politics than I used to be, because it just depresses me deeply, and more interested in international affairs. You can expect to see stuff here about all the interests I’ve listed above, though, from time to time.
Comments are permitted and welcomed, but I reserve the absolute right to ban individual comments and/or their authors. I do not want gratuituous personal attacks on other commenters on this blog. You’ll get a warning the first time, and if it happens a second time, you’re out of here. Those are my rules; you can have whatever rules you like on your own blog.
This blog has been hosted by Laughing Squid Web Hosting since 2005, and I have never had a single complaint about their service. They’re good people, and I recommend their services highly.
So, what are your politics?
Left of center. Civil-liberties issues trump partisan politics for me; I am strongly disturbed by what I perceive to be an ineluctably fast-growing authoritarian tendency among Americans. I am strongly opposed to the USA PATRIOT Act and governmental abrogation of constitutional rights in the name of “national security” and the “War on Terror.” Libs and Dems have proven themselves, since the election of President Obama in 2008, to be just as authoritarian as right-wingers and the soi-disant “freedom-lovers” of the Tea Party movement.
How can I send you email?
You can send email to dpf at dumpendebat dot net.
Are you active on social media, and/or elsewhere on the Net?
What does Dum pendebat filius mean?
Latin: “While the Son was hanging.” It’s from a hymn entitled Stabat mater. It’s also something of a dirty joke which only those who have read Anthony Burgess’ novel Abba Abba (1977) are likely to “get.”
“About” page last updated 2012/10/08